At serving time, finely dice the remaining cucumber, red and green peppers and a medium tomato of your choice.
- 1 can of Roma tomatoes – 796 mL (in season Roma tomatoes , 5 or so fresh, skinned and seeded, could be substituted)
- 1 sweet red pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 green pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 green onions, green and white parts
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and cut in half
- 1 good sized garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 3 to 4 cups tomato juice (approximately)
- 1 generous pinch or 2 of a good quality salt
- A few grinds of pepper
- 1 medium tomato (garnish)
- Reserve the other halves of the red, and green peppers, and cucumber for garnish at serving time.
- Roughly chop the cucumber, red and green peppers and green onions.
- Finely dice the celery.
- Add all chopped veggies, canned tomatoes, 2 cups of tomato juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt and pepper to the blender. Blend on high. Do in 2 batches if necessary.
- Pour the soup into a large pitcher. Check the consistency of the soup, Add the remainder of the tomato juice, more if required; stir well and chill for several hours – minimally 3 hours, but preferably over night so the garlic mellows a bit!
- Finely dice the reserved red and green peppers, cucumber and the tomato.
- Pour the soup into bowls, sprinkle with a generous serving of diced veggies.
- If you want, you can drink this soup as a quick snack, simply by pouring just the soup into a tall glass. Such a speedy way to get a whole bunch of goodness. Who needs V-8?